Friday, August 29, 2008

Day 6

Yay! I'm finally all caught up on my posting. Sorry it has taken me so long to update. We are just so tired by the end of the day that I can't seem get it together. Also, we only have one internet cord so the three of us have to take turns using the computer.

Today we were able to sleep in until 8:30, woot woot! It was very nice to be able to sleep in. At breakfast we were waiting for every one to come out but for some reason less than half of the group came to breakfast. After getting on the bus we found out it was because they had all gone to Starbucks. Juan drove us to the Salud Publica where we found Solana waiting for us and had our first presentation on Maternal and Chile Health Issues in Chile by Dr. Francisco Mardones. The talk was full of statistics but it was still very interesting. After that we had a short coffee break and then it was time for the first round of student presentations. I was lucky enough to present today and was the fourth person. It was interesting to hear a bit about the topic that my group members wrote their papers on.

Alex M and Sarah- HIV/AIDS
Taylor- Drug Courts
Allison- Sex education
Alex J- Obesity
Kelly- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

After the student presentations we had lunch. Emily, Kelly, Brandon, Cameron and I found a little cafe called Cafe Utopia and we all had the salmon. It was the best salmon we had ever had! With my salmon I had salad and yellow rice. It was really delicious and nice to have some fish. Juan picked us up when we had finished eating to take us to his shop where we could pick out our equipment for the snow. Tomorrow we're going up into the Andes Mountains and while some people are snow boarding and skiing Kelly, Emily, Brandon and I are going to make snow men and have snow ball fights. While we were waiting to get out gloves (we thought it necessary to purchase some gloves so our hands don't freeze off) I got pooped on by a pigeon. It was really disgusting but luckily Irena had some baby wipes so I was able to clean off my arms where the poop landed. From Juan's shop he took us back to the market so that we could shop around. There were so many things to look at! Kelly, Emily and I got these really awesome leather bracelets, and we're calling them friendship bracelets. Two hours later Juan picked us back up to take us to the hotel. Brandon and I went inside to start making dinner while Kelly, Emily and Cameron went to the store, once again. Brandon did a fabulous job making pasta with pesto and chicken, and Emily made cheesey bread. Yay cheesey bread! Again, we watched The Office. We are thinking about going out for some drinks in a little bit. It should be good times!

No comments: