Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day 24 & Day 25

We had our last day in Puerto Montt today. Cynthia, Kelly, Emily and I got up around 10 so that we could pack our bags and then head out to do some last minute shopping. We found this great strip of shops and were able to find a bunch nifty gifties as we call them. On our way back to the hotel we stopped at the grocery store to get some snacks for the bus ride back to Santiago. Back at the hotel we gathered all our bags and piled on to the bus. Luckily we were not headed to Santiago quite yet. Jaime had arranged for us to go to this tea house in Puerto Varas not far from Puerto Montt for “lunner” (a lunch/dinner). We had quite the meal here consisting of a two types of cake, a platter of bread and an assortment of spreads including salmon, egg salad, jam and others. We were also served coffee and tea. The great thing too was that we were able to go outside and play on the swings, zip-line and pet the llamas and then come back to eat more if we pleased. We spent about two hours here until it was time for our departure. This is where we had to say good-bye to Jaime, which was very sad. I am really going to miss him and all of his silliness. For the first couple hours of the bus ride I did not want to sleep because we were going to be driving all night and so I chatted with Emily instead. Emily and I also watched a couple of episodes of The Office on my computer until the battery died. We made one stop at a gas station for every one to use los banos and after that I took some Tylenol PM to help me sleep. Unfortunately it is really hard to sleep on a cramped bus and so I barely slept the whole ride. We were suppose to be driving for 18 hours, but Juan miraculously got us back to Santiago around 7:30 am, 4 ½ hours earlier than expected. Everyone was very grateful, and on top of that the hotel even let us check in to our rooms. Emily, Kelly, Cynthia and I are sharing a room, so once we all got our things in the room we headed over to get some breakfast and after that it was straight to sleep.
¬¬---
Wow, I really needed that nap. I woke up and took a shower, which I definitely needed. By the time all four of us were showered we were absolutely starving and heading down to Mamut for some lunch. We all got the chicken sandwich, which was quite a sight to see. Afterwards we went to get some cash from the ATM and stopped in the store to get things to make dinner for the following evening before Cynthia heads back to the states. When we got back to the hotel we met back up with Brandon and Cameron to take Cynthia to the market we had gone to during our first weeks in Santiago. We took the subway both ways, and were very proud of ourselves for being able to find our way around Santiago. When we got back to our hood Cynthia and Kelly went to search out a place for our last group dinner. Emily and I went back to the room to check our email and rest a bit before dinner. For dinner we went to the restaurant where the group had taken their tango lessons, which was fun because there were people dancing while we ate and at the end of the dinner there was even live music. Cynthia and I shared a cesaer salad and a plate of ravioli for dinner, which was very filling and tasted great. After dinner I was too tired to go out so Emily, Cynthia and I went back to the room and went to bed early.

No comments: